I know it's been kind of a really long time, and my last post was about celebrities, and I've kind of gotten really depressed seeing that post every time I open this page. So let's just forget about all the reading and lab reports and everything else a second so that I can finally update about… all the reading and lab reports.
Last night, I barricaded myself into a stadium with hundreds of hockey fans, which is kind of like signing my death wish. I was gone for the whole Oilers craze during the Stanley Cup playoffs here, in which apparently 99% of Edmonton's population became die-hard hockey fans. Needless to say, the two guys in the Hooligan 1 and Hooligan 2 jerseys sitting in front of me did not appreciate me asking who the players were every five seconds. Perhaps the most telling moment of the evening was when the announcer was announcing the starting lineup and mentioned this one player and everyone cheered and I turned to my Mom and said "Do you know who that is?" and she said "Who, __________? Yeah, of course! He was awesome in the playoffs!"
Cold hard dis.
Anyways, some things worthy of note:
1. I started my first year of uni! So far, my classes are good, my profs rock my world, and I have given up life to do homework, which apparently is a movement sweeping the nation, or at least my general circle of friends.
2. I have a secret I need to share. I'm majoring in biology right now (although let's face it, it's all the same right now), but I'm totally having an affair with chemistry. I am absolutely loving that class! It could be the prof – he burns things every class! Also, I was on the phone with my best friend the other night and she was telling me how she was excited because one of her profs was the author of this book she's read that she really liked and then I got really excited because my chemistry prof is the Education Chair of IUPAC!
For those of you not nerding out right now, let me explain: IUPAC is the board responsible for naming the elements amongst other things, so he's pretty much a science rock star. Do I need to tell you that I sit in the very front row, center seat, every class? Didn't think so!
3. I am totally crushing on this guy and I have no idea what to do. He basically makes me feel like I'm about thirteen again, with the butterflies in the stomach and the inability to speak when within a mile radius of him. He's shy and gentle and we've exchanged maybe twenty words. Shut up, I know. I don't think I've ever met anybody who's had this turn-me-into-a-deer-in-the-headlights effect on me. Have I mentioned that I have no game?
4. I started out the year by biking to school and enjoying the river valley and oh, assaulting my body, but then it rained. All at once. And it didn't stop. This gray sheet covered the sky and seemed to be endless, and it's not so wet anymore, but kind of cold and this means that I get to rely on our public transport system, which is pretty ridiculous because instead of a thirty minute bike ride, it's now an hour and a quarter bus ride. In a couple of weeks I'll be taking my driving test and I have a car lined up for my use, so please, keep those fingers crossed, internet! That extra hour in the morning makes all the difference, especially when we consider the eight o'clock classes.
5. I've trying my hand at cooking lately! I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to woo a nice man one day (see 3.), I'm going to have to rely on more than just my stunning good looks and sparkling personality. I'm only kidding, of course, but for real, it was about time. And now I'd like to take a moment to thank Rachael Ray, for all her guidance and support, through all those tough times, the oil burns, the overcooked pasta. I could not have done this without you!